Welcome to The Betty Rocker Present, the place to be to nourish your thoughts, love your physique, and rock your life.
It’s so nice to have you ever right here as I welcome again the one and solely Dr. Stacy Sims, who’s a scientist, educator and chief within the subject of ladies particular analysis in well being, vitamin and train. Through the years many ladies have been basing their coaching and vitamin methods round analysis finished on males, as a result of ladies’s hormones had been seen as “too sophisticated” – as we had been actually being not noted of the analysis.
It’s no surprise so many of ladies have struggled with understanding what’s occurring with their our bodies, why they’re not responding to the generally prescribed eating regimen and train methods, and why we so typically really feel dismissed by medical doctors for our very legitimate well being considerations. Dr. Sims is on a mission to assist us with women-specific scientific data that you would be able to apply instantly!
Dr Sims served as an train physiologist and vitamin scientist at Stanford College from 2007 by way of 2012. Her revolutionary guide, Roar, sparked a motion in the way in which we as ladies strategy our coaching throughout our lifespan, and her new guide, Subsequent Degree is designed particularly for the peri and publish menopausal feminine athlete.
I like to recommend each of those books, and in addition having a take heed to the 2-part podcast we did earlier in Season 2 to brush up on the menstrual cycle and its adjustments throughout our lifespan, in addition to particular methods you’ll be able to implement to get probably the most out of your superb feminine physique at all ages and life stage.
These methods are all relevant to your Betty Rocker applications and challenges, and can aid you perceive why they work so effectively and empower you to get much more snug adjusting and customizing issues to the place you’re at in your life.
At this time, we’re persevering with our dialog with some extra in depth dialogue of dietary methods as they relate to WOMEN particularly, together with low carb diets, intermittent fasting and the ketogenic eating regimen; nutrient timing, why it’s important to deal with muscle over fats loss, and we’ll be discussing optimum coaching methods for ladies in any respect ages, together with peri and publish menopause, in addition to hormone alternative remedy and adaptogenic herbs.
It is a save and bookmark for reference episode. Thanks for being right here!
“My imaginative and prescient is a world of wholesome ladies who perceive their our bodies, know methods to work with their distinctive physiology, know their intervals are ergogenic aids and create positivity round being a lady in sport.
Collectively we are able to shift the harmful narrative and elevate ladies in analysis, science, and sport.”
On this episode, you’ll uncover:
Welcoming again Dr. Stacy Sims (1:28)
- Dr Sims’ books: Roar and Subsequent Degree
- Take heed to half 1 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: vitamin and coaching by way of the menstrual cycle
- Take heed to half 2 of the Dr. Stacy Sims interview: vitamin and coaching for ladies in peri and publish menopause, fad diets and extra
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Ladies are Not Small Males
- Dr. Stacy Sims course: Menopause for Athletes
What drives Dr. Sims to pursue this work (4:23)
- Empowering ladies of all ages
- Breaking down the unfavourable stereotypes of ladies’s life stage transitions
- The cultural filter we don’t at all times notice we’re working by way of
- Ladies’s efficiency potential and the bias within the analysis
- How eating regimen tradition has failed ladies
Do low carb diets serve ladies’s physiology? (7:59)
- Dr Sims weblog publish: Feminine Athletes Want Carbohydrates
- Metabolic variations between women and men
- Estrogen’s impression on urge for food
- Mind variations between women and men
Why the ketogenic eating regimen and intermittent fasting may match effectively for males however not ladies (9:31)
- Analysis on these diets was finished on male take a look at topics
- Physique composition considerations with the ketogenic eating regimen for ladies
- Lack of range within the keto eating regimen for the intestine microbiome
- Why you burn muscle on the ketogenic eating regimen
Why measuring physique composition is healthier than weighing your self on the dimensions (13:34)
- How “weight reduction” continues to be a misunderstood purpose that isn’t serving to ladies see actual progress
- The issues that affect your scale weight
- The distinction in composition between muscle and fats
- Why you look leaner if you acquire muscle
Fueling round your exercises and the hazard of low power availability (LEA) (15:57)
- Why are we nonetheless demonizing carbohydrates?
- How the physique naturally fluctuates between gas sources
- The nourishment the physique wants simply to exist vs what it wants after we do each day actions
- How the stress of coaching creates diversifications (after we are fueled)
- How the stress of coaching impacts our thyroid and metabolism after we are under-fueled and coaching
The fallacy of “eat much less, train extra” (20:04)
- The way in which the “eat much less” mindset performs into ladies feeling they need to be smaller and take up much less house
- The improper sort of stress that the “train extra” mindset creates
- The problems with intestine well being, cardiovascular well being and psychological well being from consuming much less
Ladies don’t must shrink for society (21:08)
- The cultural push to “be a sure measurement”
- The unbelievable stress on ladies to be smaller
- Ladies ought to take up as a lot house as they like!
- What Stacy’s daughter realized from her buddies mother about “what she wanted to do to see her abs”
Consuming to be STRONG, not consuming much less (23:50)
- The misperception about why we should always focus extra on muscle
- How onerous it’s to construct muscle, not to mention “get cumbersome”
- The explanation why muscle is so helpful
- Shifting our focus away from fats loss and towards muscular energy as the first purpose
Changing into self reliant at any age and the the explanation why we practice (27:32)
- Strengthening the physique now determines high quality of life later in life
- Defining your long run imaginative and prescient
- Constructing and preserving lean muscle
- Desirous about how one can arrange the long run model of your self with the actions you are taking immediately
How peri and publish menopausal ladies can set themselves up for fulfillment (30:10)
- Indicators of menopause and adjustments ladies undergo
- The way in which estrogen and progesterone adjustments impression blood sugar stability
- The way in which ladies on this life stage can bypass the hormone fluctuation to stimulate muscle development
- Why heavier lifting (than you had been earlier than) is important to ladies on this life stage
- Why protein consumption and nutrient timing is important to ladies on this life stage
- Reviewing the way in which estrogen and progesterone impression our physique composition targets after we’re nonetheless biking recurrently
- The primary and second half of the menstrual cycle and the way our physique responds
- How our hormones change by way of the phases of ladies’s life cycle
- Why it’s important to not take a “no days off” strategy in peri and publish menopause
At this time’s podcast is delivered to you by ROCK AND RESTORE, my free-form important amino acid method. This nice tasting fruit punch method comprises 30 servings of all 9 of the important amino acids (together with the BCAA’s) of their free kind for speedy absorption and metabolic use so you’ll be able to rock your exercises, construct lean muscle, get well quicker, enhance your immune system and enhance cognitive perform.
The makes use of and advantages of adaptogenic herbs (43:01)
- Weblog publish: 6 Adaptogens that assist hormone stability
- Dr. Sims’ premium membership (consists of many studying modules, together with one about adaptogenic herbs)
- Peri-menopause signs and the way they’re typically addressed by medical doctors
- Hormone alternative remedy (HRT) as a software within the toolbox
- What adaptogens are and the way they work with the physique
- The advantages of ashwaghanda
- How the physique adjusts to the presence of the adaptogens
- The advantages of schisandra
The best way to join with Dr. Stacy Sims and her work (52:36)
If you’re desirous about how one can implement the coaching methods she talked about into your personal life and are feeling overwhelmed by the energy coaching or heavy lifting part, I actually encourage you to strategy that with the mentality of lifting heav-IER than you’re proper now. When you’re model new and simply beginning to train continuously, construct a stable base with my foundational body weight applications.
When you’ve constructed a powerful basis or base with body weight exercises, take into account including in dumbbells for further resistance. When you’ve been in a rut with mild dumbbells, take into account going up in weight with what you’re at the moment utilizing so you’ll be able to’t do as many reps.
When you get to the purpose the place you’ll be able to’t comfortably maintain the dumbbells however really feel like you possibly can problem your self additional, that’s when it’s time to check out barbells and including weight with weight plates. There’s a progressive facet to this, so don’t really feel like it’s essential to go from zero to barbells or that that’s the solely solution to progress.
Dr. Sims and I mentioned this within the first 2 episodes we did collectively, that going heavier is relative to every of us. You wish to do that safely, so constructing a basis first is important.
I train you all of this in my problem applications in Rock Your Life. We’ve got every part from foundational body weight problem applications, to challenges that embody dumbbells and easy residence exercise gear, all the way in which as much as weight coaching challenges that you simply do with heavier weight, and I train you all of the progressions.
At this time’s podcast is delivered to you by ROCK YOUR LIFE, my on-line residence exercise studio and uplifting ladies’s health group the place you’ll be able to get pleasure from applications and challenges to construct energy for constant, sustainable progress. Get pleasure from new lessons every week, wholesome recipes, a non-public ladies’s solely assist group and MORE!
So in case you’re in peri or publish menopause, actually begin to consider how one can practice to extend the problem to your muscular tissues with resistance coaching, and construct on the place you at the moment are. Do these explosive plyometric strikes that I write into your applications, as they’re much more supportive to your targets than lengthy endurance cardio, particularly in peri and publish menopause.
When you’re in that peri or publish menopause life stage, you wish to take note of the “polarity” of your coaching depth. If a exercise program is written with 5 days in a row, adapt it in your life stage and do 2 days on, 1 day without work, or work out each different day for example. This lets you get well higher, and hit your exercises more durable if you do them and get higher leads to the absence of the circulating estrogen progesterone – assuming you’re additionally fueling appropriately and consuming sufficient protein and complete meals carbs.
And in case you’re nonetheless having an everyday cycle, you’ll be able to profit from persevering with to problem your physique with common train and balanced vitamin as effectively. Your biking estrogen and progesterone provide you with an edge to make your whole exercises much more efficient, but it surely’s important that you simply’re fueling appropriately round your exercises, and never overtraining.
I’ve been having ongoing conversations about ALL of those matters and so many extra inside Rock Your Life, my on-line residence exercise studio and girls’s health group. In my common workplace hours I’m in a position to join with the members and reply their questions and share extra data that pertains to them particularly.
When you’re not a member but, I extremely encourage you to affix us, you may get a 30 day trial and are available see what you’ve been lacking.
I’ve received an enormous class library with over 1000 lessons of all sorts, together with foundational body weight energy coaching, exercises the place you’ll be able to add in some easy residence exercise gear like dumbbells and stretchy bands, all the way in which as much as heavier weight coaching lessons. There are barre lessons, yoga lessons, mobility lessons, plyometrics and circuit. Plus I’ve received dozens of guided exercise challenges to provide the good sequence to progress by way of. I see unbelievable tales on daily basis from my Rock Your life residence health club members, and with the ability to assist them in our personal ladies’s health group alongside the Crew Betty Rocker coaches is a superb expertise.
Dr Sims and I each share a mission of empowering ladies with instruments and data and the perfect factor I supply is Rock Your Life. Doing 1-off exercises is nice, doing a program is nice, however having ongoing challenges and applications over time so you’ll be able to keep constant and construct a wholesome life-style with steering from the coaches is absolutely the BEST for seeing lasting outcomes and feeling supported in your journey.
I encourage you to seize that 30 day trial so you’ll be able to see what it’s all about and take your time having fun with every part I’ve to supply with none stress or obligation.
Thanks a lot for listening to immediately’s present, and for caring about your well being. Thanks for sharing these podcast episodes together with your family and friends and serving to to empower different ladies.
I sit up for our subsequent dialog.
Love The Betty Rocker Present? We do too!
Share it with your pals, and subscribe in your favourite podcast
participant to be alerted when new exhibits drop!
ABOUT THE BETTY ROCKER SHOW:
Be a part of me for open and thought scary discussions about well being, health, and methods to
cease undermining ourselves – and begin taking significant motion that makes us
function fashions to others…
….and, pay attention to my intimate conversations with superb thought leaders, well being care
professionals, athletes and celebrities to study their secrets and techniques and insights for
overcoming life’s challenges, residing longer, more healthy, stronger and extra
New exhibits are launched each different week throughout Season 2 of The Betty Rocker Present.
The publish S2 – 14: Ladies Particular Vitamin and Coaching with Dr. Stacy Sims appeared first on The Betty Rocker.