IYKYK: These thick, crumbly sugar cookies topped with a thick layer of pink icing (plus sprinkles) from the grocery retailer bakery simply hit totally different than different treats. Alas, whereas these cookies are unquestionably scrumptious, they do not provide a ton of dietary advantages—and extra importantly, people who keep away from consuming gluten and/or dairy do not get to get pleasure from them.
When you’ve got been craving that nostalgic sugar cookie style however keep on with a gluten-free or dairy-free weight loss plan, you’ve got come to the proper place. On this episode of Alt-Baking Bootcamp, Sashah Handal, a baker, diet coach, and coach, demos a gluten-free sugar cookie recipe that is additionally vegan. “We’re gonna make a brilliant enjoyable, colourful, playful, shiny pink frosted sugar cookie,” says Handal. “It is fully plant-based, and the dough is gluten-free. So it is a complete crowd pleaser, and it is good for anybody with any kind of meals intolerance.”
To make the recipe vegan and dairy-free, Handal swaps the butter and milk utilized in conventional sugar cookie recipes for vegan butter and cashew milk. And as a substitute of all-purpose flour, she makes use of oat flour within the recipe as a gluten-free different. “Should you really want them to be actually gluten-free, be sure you’re your package deal and that it reads Licensed Gluten-Free to make sure there isn’t any cross contamination,” she notes. Oat flour can be tremendous straightforward to work with, and it is excessive in fiber and protein.
As soon as the dough is blended and chilled, it is time to roll it out and use a cookie cutter. “If you do not have a cutter at dwelling, you should utilize a glass or a jar, and it’ll make the identical type of round reduce out for you,” Handal advises. Then, it is into the oven at 350°F for round 10 minutes.
Whereas the cookies bake, you may get began on the icing, which requires powdered sugar and beet juice. “Beets are insanely good for you,” Handal says. “They’ve plenty of antioxidants, and so they’re naturally excessive in sugar…it is going to provide you with that good frosting that you really want on your cookies.” As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, allow them to cool, then high them with frosting and luxuriate in. Should you do not wish to bake all of the dough without delay, Handal says to bake off half of it and maintain the opposite half in your freezer for the subsequent time a sugar cookie craving strikes. (“The dough will maintain for at the very least two weeks,” she says.)
Press play on the video to see the total gluten-free sugar cookie recipe in motion, and discover the components and directions under.
Gluten-free and dairy-free sugar cookie recipe
For the cookies:
1/2 stick vegan butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cashew milk, or any different milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For the frosting:
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 Tbsp beet juice, divided
1. Place the vegan butter and sugar right into a bowl. Cream the components collectively for about two to 3 minutes, till you’ve got a lightweight, fluffy texture. It is a tremendous vital a part of ensuring the cookies are ethereal as a substitute of dense. Combine within the cashew milk and the vanilla extract.
2. Sift the dry components (oat flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt) right into a separate bowl, then add to the moist components. Combine all of it collectively, beginning gradual in order that the flour would not go in every single place, then dashing it up.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at the very least half-hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough on a lightly-floured floor till it’s round 1/4-inch thick. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a cookie or biscuit cutter to chop out your cookies, then place them on the baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies at 350°F for 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet midway by.
6. To make the frosting, place the powdered sugar right into a clear bowl. Add three teaspoons of the beet juice, and whisk collectively. Add extra beet juice as wanted to skinny the consistency. Place in fridge for roughly 10 minutes to assist the frosting harden.
7. As soon as your cookies are fully cool, high them with frosting and luxuriate in!
Oh hello! You appear to be somebody who loves free exercises, reductions for cutting-edge wellness manufacturers, and unique Properly+Good content material. Join Properly+, our on-line group of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards immediately.