By Robert Preidt HealthDay Reporter
FRIDAY, June 10, 2022 (HealthDay Information) — Tons of of U.S. youngsters die in pool and sizzling tub drownings annually, and the U.S. Shopper Product Security Fee (CPSC) is urging dad and mom to redouble security efforts this summer time.
That is as a result of many youngsters have been away from the water through the previous two years as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.
“Youngster drowning charges and nonfatal drowning accidents amongst youngsters beneath 15 years outdated stay excessive, and water security vigilance is as essential as ever this summer time for fogeys and caregivers,” stated Alex Hoehn-Saric, chairman of the CPSC.
Whether or not a toddler is taking part in in a group pool, a neighbor’s pool or the household’s personal, the fee is urging dad and mom and caregivers to organize by reviewing pool security suggestions and signing up for swimming classes.
“Working collectively, we will help scale back pool- and spa-related fatalities,” Hoehn-Saric stated in a CPSC information launch.
On common, 389 pool- or sizzling tub-related drowning deaths involving children beneath 15 have been reported annually from 2017 to 2019, based on an annual CPSC report launched June 9.
Nonfatal pool- or hot-tub-related accidents in the identical age group rose from 5,800 in 2020 to six,800 in 2022, a 17% spike.
And 73% of reported deadly drownings concerned youngsters beneath age 5.
On common, children beneath 5 represented 80% of kids handled in U.S. emergency departments for pool- or sizzling tub-related nonfatal accidents.
The place data was obtainable, 73% of these incidents occurred at a house. Two-thirds of deadly pool or spa drownings occurred at a house.
Drowning is the main explanation for unintentional dying amongst 1- to 4-year-olds, based on the CPSC.
The fee provided some suggestions to assist dad and mom and caregivers hold children protected:
- By no means depart a toddler unattended in or close to water, together with bathtubs, buckets, ornamental ponds and fountains. All the time designate an grownup water watcher. This individual shouldn’t be studying, texting, utilizing a cellphone or be in any other case distracted.
- In the event you personal a pool or sizzling tub, have a collection of boundaries to maintain unsupervised people hold from attending to the water. This contains measures similar to door alarms, pool covers, and self-closing, self-latching units on fence gates and doorways that entry swimming pools.
- Learn to carry out CPR on youngsters and adults. Many communities supply on-line CPR coaching.
- Study to swim and ensure your youngster learns as effectively.
- Preserve children away from pool drains, pipes and different openings to keep away from entrapments.
- Be certain that any pool and sizzling tub your youngster makes use of has drain covers that adjust to U.S. federal security requirements. Your pool service supplier can advise you about safer drain covers.
There’s extra on water security on the American Pink Cross.
SOURCE: U.S. Shopper Product Security Fee, information launch, June 9, 2022