Aug. 11, 2022 – The CDC immediately introduced that as a result of there’s now much less threat of “medically important” COVID-19, some public well being measures the company advisable might not be vital.
For instance, CDC suggestions on social distancing, quarantining, and testing youngsters for COVID-19 whereas permitting them to remain at school – referred to as the test-to-stay technique – might not be vital for many People. The company stated excessive ranges of immunity from vaccinations and prior infections, together with efficient remedies and instruments that stop unfold of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, prompted the motion.
However the company additionally stated individuals who know they’ve a excessive threat for extreme COVID-19 ought to proceed to apply a multi-layered strategy to holding themselves protected. Nicely-known methods embody improved air flow, well-fitting masks, and testing as warranted.
The new CDC steering was revealed immediately within the company’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
The brand new suggestions emphasize the necessity to:
- Give attention to methods to cut back dangers for extreme COVID-19.
- Monitor neighborhood COVID ranges to information prevention efforts.
- Give immunocompromised folks higher entry to vaccinations and therapeutics.
- Proceed providing dependable info so folks at larger threat know their standing.
- Guarantee folks get examined in the event that they don’t have signs and isolate for five days or longer when contaminated.
“COVID-19 stays an ongoing public well being risk,” the CDC COVID-19 Emergency Response Staff members stated within the new suggestions.
“Nonetheless, excessive ranges of vaccine- and infection-induced immunity and the supply of medical and nonpharmaceutical interventions have considerably decreased the chance for medically important sickness, hospitalization, and dying from COVID-19.”