An expert runner since 2015, Quigley’s greater than used to logging main exercises. But it surely seems that coaching in three completely different sports activities concurrently—swimming, biking, and operating—comes with one large distinction: “I’m tremendous hungry on a regular basis!” she says. “I am going to eat a meal after which actually an hour and a half later, I will be going about my life, attempting to be productive, and it will be like, ugh, I am hungry once more.”
The morning we spoke, she’d simply gotten again from a six-mile run and was about to go to the pool for an hour of arduous tons of, then deliberate to relaxation for a pair hours earlier than hopping on her bike. No marvel she’s hungry: Crushing exercise after exercise, day after day takes critical gasoline.
Quigley has a level in dietetics from Florida State College, so she is aware of the worth of filling up on nutritious, entire meals. Though many endurance athletes depend on gels and bars to maintain up their power (and glucose shops) throughout exercises, Quigley likes to arrange her personal exercise meals each time she will. “Anytime I could make snacks that do not come pre-packaged, that is a win,” she says.
Her go-to? Date balls. “I used to see them round at fancy grocery shops, they usually’re normally fairly expensive, however so scrumptious,” she says. Realizing that dates are a terrific supply of pure sugars that your physique can shortly flip into gasoline, she determined to make her personal.
As she constructed her recipe, she folded in almond butter for a tasty dose of protein, fiber, magnesium, and monounsaturated fatty acids, chia seeds for a heart-healthy increase of omega-3s, whey protein powder to jumpstart her muscle restoration, and low grounds for a caffeinated efficiency increase.
Right now, she makes a batch about each two to a few weeks. They take about 20 minutes to place collectively (your blender or meals processor does many of the give you the results you want, she says). Quigley retains them within the freezer for straightforward storage, then will usually seize a pair to let thaw and munch on earlier than a exercise, or will stash some in her pouch for a scrumptious increase on lengthy bike rides.
One of the best half? You possibly can combine and match components based mostly on what occurs to be in your pantry—pistachios, chocolate chips, coconut flakes is probably not listed within the recipe however they’re all truthful recreation. As Quigley says, “You possibly can’t actually mess it up.”
Colleen Quigley’s Date Balls
Yields 20–30 balls, relying on measurement
20 medjool dates (pits eliminated)
1/2 cup almond butter (or nut butter of alternative)
1/2 cup roasted cashews (or different nut)
1/4 cup chia seeds
3 Tbsp finely floor espresso
1/4 cup protein powder (Quigley makes use of Important Efficiency chocolate protein powder or Important Proteins chocolate collagen peptides)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1. In a meals processor or blender, mix the dates with a couple of tablespoon of water (or extra if wanted) till clean.
2. In a medium bowl, mix date puree with almond butter, chia seeds, espresso, and protein powder.
3. Pulse the cashews in your blender/meals processor (no want to wash it out from earlier than) till you get small chunks and a few finer mud.
4. Add the cashews to your bowl and blend till clean and sticky. In case your combination is simply too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. If it is too moist, pulse some extra cashews or oats and add to the combo to dry it out.
5. When the consistency is correct, scoop the batter into balls—as large or small as you would like. (Quigley makes use of a heaping tablespoon to measure hers out.) Roll along with your arms till clean and set on a plate.
6. Place within the freezer for a couple of hours till they’re arduous and pop off the plate. Then retailer in a plastic bag within the freezer till you’re able to get pleasure from!
Our editors independently choose these merchandise. Making a purchase order by way of our hyperlinks could earn Effectively+Good a fee.